Sunday, October 5, 2008

Perfection

Trader Joe’s Truffle Brownies are fantastic in their own right. Marry it with their Peanut Butter Cups and you have, quite possibly, the closest thing to perfection.

A few weeks back at my local TJ’s the tester lady was plating up a batch of these. I picked one up and another…and, I’m embarrassed to admit, another. It was REALLY good. She had melted the Peanut Butter Cups on top of the warm brownies. It was deep, rich, warm, luscious chocolate love all in one bite. I didn’t go straight to the baking aisle. I would have eaten the entire thing had I made a batch at home that day.

Days passed, weeks passed and I could not get the experience out of my head. This weekend I found myself at TJ’s quite a bit – because of the Sunday Dinner but also to pick up Vitamin C rich foodstuffs to properly defend myself from the big, bad cold that was trying to creep into my system. When I get sick, or am on the verge of it, I turn into a big baby. All restraint and manners go out the window. I bought the Truffle Brownie Mix and the Peanut Butter Cups. I reasoned with myself that, a) I was sick and needed comforting, and b) I was having people over Sunday night and they would need something sweet to eat.

Sounds good to me…so all that luscious, chocolatey goodness came home with me Saturday night.

Bake the Truffle Brownies per the package directions – I don’t use an entire stick of butter. But to get it creamy enough you will need to use at least ¾ of the stick.
While the brownies are baking, cut the peanut butter cups into quarters. I used 14 cups for the entire 8x8 pan of brownies.
As soon as the brownies come out of the oven, dot the surface with the quartered cups. They will melt quickly and then you can spread it with a butter knife – like icing!

Eat right away!

They are amazing warm and just as good for breakfast the next morning with your cup of tea.

This obviously isn't highbrow Gourmet Magazine business. It's more Semi-Homemade of the Food Network variety but don't judge until you try it. One bite will banish the winter blues, thoughts of exes, and the 'what ifs' of life decisions that didn't pan out the way you thought they would.

Hm, my cards are showing...

;-) Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is *such* a good idea!