Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sound off

If I hear one more talking head tell me they think we are headed for a recession...
If I read one more article forecasting a recession...
If I have to listen to one more fund manager explain to me why we are in this mess when they clearly don't even know why we are in this mess because their own fund dropped double digits...

I will scream. I will rip the flat screen TVs off the wall in my building that show WSJ headlines throughout the day.

I get that this isn't what our textbooks define as a recession. But really, nothing the market is doing right now is what the textbooks say it should be doing. (Well maybe not 'nothing', but you get my point). Maybe we need to redefine what a recession is?

I'm getting angrier with each passing day as TV stations show live footage of these gajillionaires defending/playing dumb/straight up LIEING about the situation at their respective firms. You had no idea that you were going bankrupt? Really? So that just means that you were doing a really bad job as CEO OF THE COMPANY? Which you were getting paid an unfathomably huge I-can't-keep-track-of-how-many-zeroes-are-in-your-salary salary for? Yet you still get to go home to your massive mansion in your helicopter while people struggle to keep their homes and send their children to college? And you want these people to bail YOU out? WHAT?????

I'm not an angry person, but the "look the other way attitude", the playing dumb, the lieing (the blatant lieing), the fact that NO ONE has the cajones to just call these people out, is making me angry. And let's talk about these financial journalists for a minute. Don't get me wrong...I'm a huge fan of Maria Bartiromo. I covet her hair. I hope MB and I become best friends one day. And then her hair dresser and I become best friends. :-) I love Cramer. For all his craziness and dramatics, at least he's worked in the industry. But they, and their peers, are journalists! Their job is to seek out the truth. Get in there, get your hands dirty, ask the tough questions. Don't sensationalize the issue. It's bad. I know. You know. Let's get past that and figure out a) who started it and b) how to fix it. And I mean fix it. Not throw money at it. Reading off how badly the Dow fell, what historical figure it crushed, when was the last time we fell X percentage points does nothing for me. This isn't ESPN. Don't give me stats. I don't need a play by play.

I would like to see you interview someone and put them on the hot seat though. I would like to see you sit down with an ex CEO and make them squirm a little bit. I would like to see a documentary comparing/contrasting the lives of these CEOs and the lives of the middle class family that's going to bail them out. I would like to see these CEOs apologize to these middle class families. Not on TV. Not over the phone. In person. Explain to them in plain english why they took the risks they took, why they are still getting paid as much as they are, and why they want someone else who is barely getting by to foot the bill. That's reality television I can get behind.

I'm in the industry so I don't scare easy when the market starts doing this. But the regular investor out there is clearly spooked and sensationalizing this stuff doesn't help. Hence, the massive swings we have been experiencing in the market lately.

Someone please just take the bull by the horn (Oh how I love finance humor!) and call it what it is. Be honest. That will be a breath of fresh air and perhaps just what the market is looking for.

Ok, I'm done. I feel better now.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you just broke it down for me. thanks!