Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ostriches

Thus far 2009 has been…rough. I’ve spent the first few days of the new year getting up well past noon and staying up well past midnight and feeling like an ostrich with its head in the sand. No crazy nights. No crazy parties. I’ve been holed up in the apartment only stepping out to grab a cappuccino or two. I’ve been cooking and making my way through my DVD collection. (Those ‘habits’ I blogged about earlier – not so much.)

Currently playing on the TV is Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (DDLJ). It’s a classic. And the fact that I’m watching it right now means I’m feeling pretty crappy. I haven’t watched this movie in ages. When it first came out, it was on constant replay at the house. That was well over a decade ago. Since then, I’ve put it on here or there but just as background noise. Tonight, I’ve watched it straight through. Reminisced about when it first came out. Thousands of memories flooding my brain right now. Hindi movies – as corny as they are and DDLJ is pretty darn corny – always lift my spirits. I get caught up in the songs, the cheesie/improbable/unrealistic plot lines, the even cheesier/improbable/unrealistic sub plot lines, and I fall in love with them just as the main characters are falling in love with each other.

So here we are. Yay 2009. Maybe I’m all emotional because tomorrow is my half birthday. And because I don’t have anything planned. And will work a long day tomorrow because I have been away from the office for over a week.

Maybe that’s all it is.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I still remember you dragging me to the theater to see this movie! Well, the cheesy stuff keeps our spirits up and the improbable plot lines keep our hopes up. Have a good first day back at work. new year= clean slate, out with the old crappy stuff and in with the shiny new happy stuff.