Sunday, July 13, 2008

Fishies

The following is a recipe for Tilapia. My refusal to try seafood is well documented so this post may come as a surprise to most. Recently I have become more open to trying new things - fish and otherwise.

Today we discuss fish. More on the 'otherwise' later.

Sunday is my day to unwind. I relax and rest up for the week ahead. Cooking is one of my favoritest (yes that's a word) ways to relax. I tried a Tilapia recipe and it turned out so well that I had to share. The recipe is a combo of various recipes I found online, what was available in my kitchen and what I like. The amounts for spices and other ingredients listed are based on my taste and serve just as a guideline. Use as much or as little as you like....especially when it comes to the green chilli and red chilli powder!

Enjoy!

4 Tilapia filets
2 large red onions - slice thinly
1 green chilli - dice
4 tomatoes - cut into small chunks
1 tbsp ginger/garlic paste
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp corriander
1 tsp garam masala
salt and lime/lemon to taste

Preheat oven to 350 F

Clean Tilapia filets. Pat dry and place in baking dish. Salt and pepper both sides.
Heat oil in medium saute pan. Over medium high heat, saute red onions and green chilli until onions are soft - approximately 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and spices and ginger/garlic paste. Saute until tomatoes have reduced - approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add lime or lemon (or both!) and salt to taste. Spread mixture over filets and cover baking dish with aluminum foil. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Fish should be flaky when pricked with fork.

I served this dish with couscous and peas. Basmati rice, orzo, or a simple salad would work as well.

If anyone tries it, let me know how it worked out and what variations you made to it!

3 comments:

Beth Anne said...

Hah. I'll believe it when I see the samosas.

Anna said...

Fish recipe looks amazing! I am absolutely trying that soon. So glad you are starting to eat more seafood! It's so good and so good for you. And I love it, so you should make it for me soon :)

You're a born food blogger, by the way!

DD said...

aw thanks luv! i learned from the best. :)