Sunday, July 20, 2008

In Defense of Country Music

I confess. I love country music. Why you ask? Why not?? Don’t get me wrong. I love shaking my booty to old school hip hop/R&B but not so much to the new stuff. I’m really not interested in hearing about hoes, grills and how you’re gonna make love in the club. Yeah. I don’t think so. And it’s even worse when the song is being sung by a 16 year old. Those aren’t grills. They’re braces. Ew.

I like country music because it makes me move, feel, think, laugh, fly away, etc. The music through the years has gotten a little less twangy, and the guys have gotten a whole lot hotter. Dierks Bentley. Swoon.

The classics will always remain – Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson. Some big singers who didn’t start out as country are trying it out – Jessica Simpson, Norah Jones, even Jewel. It’s worth a listen.

I crossed over a few years back. Rascal Flatts held my hand as I made the transition. I fell in love with their album Melt and there was no looking back after that. CMT became a regular fixture in my channel surfing. I programmed one of the two country stations in my area into my car radio. Now when I make playlists on Youtube, Kenney Chesney gets just as much airtime as Kirk Franklin and Leona Lewis. Oh yeah, it’s like that.

The following are a few of my favorite songs by country singers or that involves a collaboration with a country singer:

Norah Jones and Willie Nelson – Wurlitzer Prize
Kenney Chesney – Better as a Memory
Jewel – Stronger Woman
Lady Antebellum – Love Don’t Live Here Anymore
Rascal Flatts – Movin’ On
Leann Rimes – Something’s Gotta Give
Dolly Parton – 9 to 5

These are just a few that come to mind. There are tons more. I’ll post more as I remember. I know you’re at the edge of your seats in anticipation. ;-)

No comments: