Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Moving Forward, Looking Back

I arrived at my writing workshop a little early today so was able to flip through my writing notebook which has my writing in there from years ago - 2005. (Yes I know it's only three years...but it feels like much, much longer.) I found an interesting blurb that made me laugh and I knew I had to share.

In my management class in college one of the exercises we did regularly was to imagine ourselves a few years into the future. Imagine where we were, what we were wearing, who was in the room with us, what everyone would say about us, etc. Basically it was a way to get us to think about things that we wanted to accomplish and the steps we'd need to take to get there.

Apparently, back in the fall of 2005, I sketched out this exercise in my writing notebook and the opening line is:

'Start from the end (30) and work backwards. '

Interesting 30 is what came to mind for me as 'end'. Sigh.

The rest of it is the same stuff that's important to me now: travel, microfinance, writing. Same projects, same values. I haven't changed much in terms of the things I want from when I was 26. In some ways that is reassuring and in other ways it's depressing in that I have accomplished maybe 5% of the list. Granted, I took a bit of a detour and was preoccupied with other things - which coincidentally are nowhere to be seen on that sheet - but still.

I've got a little over 11 months before 30. So a little over 11 months to cross everything off that list. I've got the writing part down. So far so good! :-)

1 comment:

pokerface-problem said...

don't forget the things you never expected to achieve, cuz you never expected you would have to. you have done a *lot* in the last three years! personal growth is not to be undervalued, not when you are as amazing of a woman as you are!