Saturday, November 29, 2008

Giving Thanks

I've had a few outbursts - slacker CEOs asking for handouts, for instance, made me a little mad. I try not to get overly political/serious/intense on this blog though. There are enough stressful things that go on on a daily basis that it doesn't need to be documented. Plus, I believe when you focus on the positive, life moves a little smoother.

There are times, though, where one is reminded that life is not always smooth. You have to hold on to the ones you love and the things you cherish a little tighter. 9/11 was one such event. The attacks currently going on in Mumbai are another.

I left India many years ago but a part of me is still there. My memories of when I lived there have faded but the emotions are as strong as ever. I visit but not as much as I would like. I am fortunate that I have two places I can call home. I belong to both the United States and India equally. Half of my family lives here and the other half in India with quite a few of them in Bombay. Everyone is safe but it did not have to work out that way. I am beyond thankful and blessed that it did though. Given yesterday was Thanksgiving it takes on so much more meaning.

9/11 woke us up here to the reality that many face throughout the world on a daily basis. I can't recall a single trip to India that didn't involve some city getting shut down, some political official getting murdered, some act of violence occurring that disrupted our daily lives. I am just there for vacation. It isn't necessarily my reality because I am going to leave. But it is the reality for the nearly 1 billion people in the country. During those visits, I remember thinking I couldn't imagine living that way. After 9/11, though, we are. My heart bleeds for this country as much as it does for India. There are no sides to be taken because a life is a life whether it holds an American passport or an Indian one. I am proud to be a part of both places and thus protective of both places. And very angry that senseless violence is occurring in these countries - and in countries around the world for that matter. The key word here is senseless. By and large I would classify myself as a pacifist. I do not believe violence is the answer. It can certainly be a part of the answer though because there are times when you must take a stand and respond in kind. Bullies only understand one language.

The emerging leaders of the world must find a way to make it better. Like I said, I try not to get political nor am I in a position to give advice on this topic. We as a world have a history filled with violence and peace. We can certainly look back and take from it what we need to make our reality and future what we want.

Mother Teresa or Cruelty?
Martin Luther King or Rascism?
Rosa Parks or Ignorance?
King Ashoka or Oppression?
Love or Hate?

I am not going to go and fight a war with guns and tanks in another country. I can fight the war going on in the streets of my city and in my neighborhood though. I can fight the war against inequality that I see occur on a daily basis. I do fight the war that rages in my head everyday as to how I would like to directly respond to those who have been, are, continue to be awful to me - point out each one of their flaws in painful detail and tell them exactly where they are going to end up - versus how I know I should respond - with patience and kindness. As I read these reports coming out regarding the attacks in Mumbai, I have to remind myself to focus on the positive rather than the cynicism that creeps into my mind.

I know I'm oversimplifying but I believe strongly that what you focus on in life makes a huge difference not only in your life but in the lives of those around you. Naturally, I absolutely believe in the power of prayer. Call it what you will though - focus or prayer - the idea is the same.

The choice is ours as to the lessons we focus on, the things we pray for and the values we instill in our children. Our reality may not be as peaceful as we like but we can make sure our childrens' is.

I prefer an existence filled with love and laughter so this is what I focus on and pray for rather than the anger and hurtful comments. Life is too short as we are reminded of on a daily basis.

What will you focus on today? What will you pray for?