Friday, November 14, 2008

Speechless...I don't know what to title this

I can't remember which magazine it was, but I was reading an article in one of the two - Inc. or Entrepreneur - a few weeks back. They had a piece profiling young business owners that were bringing something cool to the market, were young and were insanely rich (or going to be). One of the people profiled went to my University. I hung out with her a few times too. She was friends with one of my friends although she and I never connected on a very deep level.

I was excited to see her profiled. Always nice to see people you know, or know of, making their way in life. Then I read her profile and walked away feeling a little depressed.

They asked each of the people what motivates them to do what they do. She said that her Dad told her if a person doesn't accomplish something by the time they are 30, they will never accomplish anything at all. Apparently that motivated her to get out there and do something before the big 3-0. In case you are wondering, she's 27.

Right. I'm screwed.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm sorry, but that girl's Dad has a limited view of the world. What do I call parenthood to women who are closing on 40? That's not accomplishing something? And the fifty something housewives who went back to the workplace and became successful business women - also nothing? And the women who put themselves back through school so that they can have careers - "nothing"?
Yeah, that guy's an idiot, even if his daughter is successful. I'll bet she ends up bored since she will have lived her entire life by 30!

Anna said...

That is a complete load of BS. Where does that leave people who continue their education past undergrad? (projecting here). Whatever. It's complete, narrow-minded nonsense. Julia Child didn't learn to cook till she was almost 40. Think on that for a while. Helps me :)