Friday, December 12, 2008

My time

I'm off today! I'm still doing a bit of work but I get to do it in my pajamas and from the comfort of my parents' home infront of their massive television. Nice.

I also have the opportunity today to finally go through my finances and sort out the mess. Oh I know my day job is managing a few bajillion dollars so really my own piddly financial situation shouldn't be that hard to manage. But it is. I don't know how that happens but there's my confession for the day.

Bank account: Have no idea what's in it.
IRA: Again, I think it's just sitting in cash right now.
Brokerage account: I do know where this is - all cash.
401k: Don't want to look but it is fully diversified. I'm sure it's dropped so much that it doesn't much matter anymore.
Credit score: I have no clue what it is. I ran a credit report when I came back home to make sure there weren't any erroneous items on it but I didn't focus in on that all important number. I got approved for my apartment so I figure it's at least good?
Credit cards: I pay the Amex off in full each month. And I chip away at the other credit card balances (yes, plural). When I was 25, I had zero credit card debt. I've racked up quite a bit due to some life decisions that I don't want to dwell on anymore but it is what it is. I'll get there.
Student Loans: I do know what this number is! It's a controversial topic but I see nothing wrong with student loan debt. I see it as an investment. You're investing in your future earning potential not to mention enriching yourself. That's priceless. I mean, don't give away the farm to get a degree in something you won't be able to get a decent paying job with. Be smart about it...but at the end of the day, I see Student Loans as "good" debt.

So as you can see, there are quite a few financial issues I need to wrap my head around. Good thing I like numbers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am benefitting from your wisdom! you're my suze orman!