Monday, December 29, 2008

Stay-cation

Today was the first day of my stay-cation. I have this entire week off of work and am not going anywhere. I'm staying in the city, running errands, and checking off things from my to do list that have been on the list for months now. It feels great. At least, it feels better than a few days ago. Honestly, I was pretty terrified at being away from the office for an entire week. That's when I realized how badly I needed to be away from the office. It's unhealthy how attached I am to that place.

I've always said that my work is my life. I truly enjoy what I do so going to the office is not a chore. However, these past few months my work has turned into a job and just that. Nothing more. I've had to put up boundaries and force myself to take time off, hence this week long break, and it doesn't feel right. I'm hoping by the end of the week it will. It has started off quite nicely at least.

I had a brilliant day today. Woke up without an alarm clock at 11:30. Headed over to my favorite coffee shop and enjoyed a cappuccino while people watching. I LOVE people watching. Returned emails, made plans for New Year's Eve, and met up with a friend. I went to the gym, prepared a healthy meal and watched Two Weeks Notice while getting ready for bed. Now I'm here blogging while in bed. It has been an ideal day and how I hope to eventually spend every day - being financially stable of course. By the end of the break I will be fully rested and relaxed and have adopted a healthy attitude towards work. This is my goal.

This sounds seriously cheesie but as I was brushing my teeth infront of the bathroom mirror and listening to Two Weeks Notice playing in the background, I began to think that maybe my boss is not completely wrong. I've been resisting his advice. I've been resisting pretty much everything because he's not the kind of boss my previous boss was whom I adored and learned so much from. Then again, I'm not the kind of analyst the other analyst is. My resistance coupled with his passive-ness (is that a word?) is not doing anyone any good. I could very easily say that he's the boss so he should be the one to change but it's going to have to be me. I need to accept that he is the way he is and find a way to work around it. Am I giving in? Am I selling out? My way has certainly not worked for the past 6 months. My previous boss would not be very proud of me right now. My career is about to take off and this is certainly not the end of the line for me. Instead of digging my heels in maybe I need to pick up the pace and start running a little faster.

Maybe?

No comments: