Wednesday, December 31, 2008

This year is the longest ever

Each morning for the past few days I wake up and can't get over how long this year feels. I'm not expecting things to be dramatically different next year or thinking some sort of miracle will occur the moment we finally switch over to 2009. I don't know what it is exactly...

I was emailing with a dear friend a few days ago and he gave his perspective on this feeling and I rather liked it. He said "Wishing you a great 2009 as 2008 was a good year in preparing you for 2009!"

It's so easy to hold on to the bad things that happened or the things we were hoping for that didn't materialize. It's so easy that we gloss over the things that pleasantly surprised us or that some of the things that didn't materialize turned out to be for our benefit after all.

2008 was a hard year. It wasn't bad - just hard. I'm not expecting 2009 to be easier but given what my friend said maybe it will be because 2008 has in fact prepared me quite well on many fronts.

I have a better perspective on work and life and balancing it all.
I have a clearer vision of what I want my future to look like.
I've opened the door to new possibilities that I had previously kept the door shut very tightly on.

Most importantly, in working through all the trials of 2008, I've come to find that I'm feeling more like myself - not the version of me from just a year ago...but the version of me from many, many years ago.

I shouldn't be so hard on 2008 after all...

No comments: