Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Bhindi recipe

Last night I was craving bhindi (okra). It is one of my comfort foods. I love it so. After my writing class I swung by Trader Joe's and picked up a few things to jazz up my bhindi. I decided I wanted to make it south indian style - with some yogurt. Instead of getting the regular plain stuff I chose the nonfat greek yogurt. Good choice! It turned out beautifully. Highly recommended.

And here is how it went...

You will need:

1 lb packet frozen cut okra
1 15 oz container of Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
2 plum tomatoes (At the least 2. Add more if you love the tomato) - halved and then quartered
1 white onion - halved and then quartered
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
Red chili to taste
Salt to taste
1 tbsp garam masala

Heat up oil in nonstick pan. Be sure to coat bottom of pan. Add fennel seeds as oil heats up. Once oil is nice and hot, pour entire packet of okra into pan. It might sputter because the water is mixing with the oil so be sure to have a lid handy. Saute okra on high for about 10 minutes. Add onions and tomatoes and all spices. Continue to saute on high heat until onions and tomatoes have cooked down a bit. Make sure not to fuss with the okra too much - meaning don't turn it a lot with your spatula or whatever you are using. Okra is gooey and the more you fuss with it the gooier it gets. After approximately ten minutes add the entire packet of yogurt. Thoroughly mix it in with the okra, onion, and tomato. Bring to boil and then lower to simmer. Let simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes or until it has reduced to where most of the water has cooked away.

Enjoy!

I didn't have curry leaves. If you have them, add to the pan at the same time as the fennel seeds. Yum!

No comments: