Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Spending in the City

Since moving into the city I have taken on more expenses than I had previously. I'm finding less and less left in the tin once the month is over. So, I'm having to rehaul my spending habit. First off, I hate the word budget. I have yet to come up with a better word though. Regardless, I'm not going to 'budget'. My feeling is use your money to live the life you want. Put your resources towards those activities that are most important to you and give you the most satisfaction. Resources meaning time and money and emotion and energy.

Living in the part of the city that is within walking distance of my office is extremely important to me. It is more expensive than the other areas but being able to come home for lunch has increased my quality of life immensely.

I gave up the writing classes. I had to decide between the trainer and my writing workshop. I can write almost anywhere and will do it without hesitation - like this blog. Working out is another matter altogether. If I don't have the trainer, I will not work out. Cardio yes, but weights no. I have noticed changes in my posture, my demeanor and just generally how I carry myself in the last three months. I attribute that in great part to the training. It is an investment in me and one that makes me feel fantastic. Hence, I chose the trainer.

I'm a homebody. I love entertaining and having people over. I hope to do more dinners at the house as an alternative to going out. It's cheaper, healthier, and creates a deeper community, I feel. Going out is certainly warranted at times, and needed, but I've noticed that I've been doing it a bit too much as of late.

Savings I won't touch. As tempted as I am to stop putting money away, especially right now, I know that right now is exactly the time I should be saving my money. The markets will turn around eventually. It's a good time to pick up quality securities at a deeply discounted price.

That's the nuts and bolts of me spending in the city. I could write a bunch more as finance is one of the things I love in addition to food and fashion. Hmm...sounds like a great concept for another blog.

1 comment:

Olivia said...

Please write more about finances! I'm trying (sometimes it seems a bit Sysiphan) to get mine in shape, and could use the pointers/inspiration. You are my financial guru, after all.