Saturday, September 13, 2008

Khichdi

I heart Khichdi. For so many reasons. The lazy part of me loves it because instead of making two separate dishes of rice and lentils, I just combine it in one pot and enjoy! The comfort seeker in me loves it because every bite warms me up and reminds of my home and family. The minimalist in me loves it because it is a simple dish but holds its own. And you can always jazz it up by adding extra veggies into it or by combining it with various sides like Chokha (Indian mashed potatoes) and various types of chutneys.

In my family, tradition dictates that every Saturday this is the dish that is made. Making this dish on Saturdays, according to legend/folklore/stories passed down, brings good luck. I’ll take that.

The steps for this are very similar to the steps outlined for making rice.

You will need:
Rice
Lentils
Turmeric
Salt

Optional:
Cardamom pods

In the cooking pot, combine one cup of rice and one cup of lentils. I like mine more lentil-y so I add another third cup of lentils. Rinse in cold water 3 to 4 times and slowly add water. This dish is very forgiving so if you go under or over with the water it’s not a problem. As with the pot of rice, the water, as measured from the top of the rice and lentil mixture, should reach halfway up your pointer finger. If it’s a bit less you can add as the dish cooks away. If it’s a bit more, the dish will be a little soupier – if you like that, great. If not, pour some of the water out.

Place pot on stove on high heat uncovered. Add no more than three cardamom pods for the 1 cup rice/1 cup lentil mixture. Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cover loosely. Let cook until rice and lentils are soft. Add more water as needed/desired. Add more salt as desired.

Now I’m obligated to tell you this because if I don’t, it could be bad. Once the Khichdi is done, you have to add “chaunk” to it. I have no idea how to spell it. But I know how to cook it and it goes like this:

In a small pot, heat up 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add half of an onion, chopped. Add one clove garlic, sliced. Add 2 dry red chilis. Fry it up until the onions and garlic reach a caramely brown. If you do it over high heat it will burn so be very careful the heat isn’t too much. You can add fennel seeds to this too if you like. I do without. I find the taste is cleaner that way. Otherwise it’s too many people at the party competing for your attention. Well, that could be a good thing. But not in the case of Khichdi. When the chaunk is ready, mix it into the Khichdi and voila! Yumminess.

Why am I obligated to tell you? According to legend/folklore/stories passed down, if you don’t add chaunk it’s bad luck. Folks, I don’t make this stuff up. This is serious business.

Khichdi is a very popular dish throughout India. The most notable difference amongst the different regions will be in the consistency. My preference is for it to be more porridge like. In some parts it’s dry. And in other parts it’s the consistency of soup. Growing up my mother would ad cauliflower, carrots, peas and potatoes to it.

Make it your own!

2 comments:

pokerface-problem said...

Instead of cardamom, I cook my khichdi with some cumin seeds. Also a tasty alternative. I guess I'm an Auntie in the making, too...!

Unknown said...

Kichdi is the perfect comfort food! Especially good for the upset stomach of a stressed-out bride. I can't believe you had time to post this hours before my wedding! You are wonderwoman. Me loves. :)